TV stomach! (*25*)Yaya DaCosta’s first Hollywood function was portraying Ms. Jenkins on a 2005 episode of Eve. One yr later, she nabbed her first film gig, taking part in LaRhette in Take the Lead.
The New York native’s profession took off in 2008 when she was forged as Cassandra Foster on All My Children. The following yr, the now 38-year-old star had a recurring function on Ugly Betty and he or she went on to look in a sequence of films earlier than turning to tv in 2015 as April Sexton on Chicago Med. DaCosta exited the sequence after six seasons — and after portraying the identical character on episodes of Chicago P.D. and Chicago Fire — in May.
Outside of her appearing profession, nonetheless, how a lot do DaCosta’s followers know about her? The Our Kind of People actress opened as much as Us Weekly solely about herself — together with how she received senior housing as a freshman at Brown University and why her pals suppose she needs to be a comic.
Read on to be taught extra about DaCosta:
1. As a baby, I might crochet garments for my dolls. When I first started appearing, I might crochet outfits throughout downtime on set and put on them to wrap events.
2. I like silence.
3. I eat like a teenage boy.
4. One of my pet peeves is individuals interrupting daydreams for no cause. Please don’t “earth to Yaya” me once I might be channeling the components for world peace. You by no means know!
5. My pals suppose I’m tremendous foolish and may have been a comic.
6. I’ve many various laughs, together with a witchy cackle.
7. After sporting nothing however sneakers for six years on Chicago Med, my ft grew a size!
8. I’ve a cat named Osho.
9. I even have cat-like reflexes.
10. Ever since I used to be little, I might make up songs and do raps on the spot. I nonetheless do!
11. Wherever I am going, I attempt to stay by water.
12. I’ve been a vegetarian for many of my life. I attempted to be vegan a number of instances, however … ice cream.
13. I supply Black-owned merchandise each time attainable.
14. I’ve been informed I make the very best smoothies on the planet.
15. I worship the solar and the moon equally.
16. I’ve a love of metaphysics and have studied numerous modalities [like] the Akashic information, Kundalini yoga, Buddhism and Ifá.
17. I take pleasure in touring and speaking with individuals of their languages if I can — whether or not it’s simply “thanks,” or a complete dialog about the aim of life.
18. I like conserving contemporary reduce flowers in my residence.
19. I’m a educated dancer.
20. I’m a full spectrum beginning doula.
21. During my freshman yr at Brown University, 4 of my pals and I received a lip sync contest to get senior housing.
22. In highschool, I had a task in (*25*)Ntozake Shange’s play For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf. I needed to reference “this silver ring in my nostril,” which grew to become my excuse to get a nostril ring!
23. I’ve spent a variety of time in Brazil, which is sort of a second residence.
24. I used to be accepted into New York’s LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts for theater, singing and dance.
25. I’m secretly anticipating my name from Marvel [Studios] president(*25*) Kevin Feige to do the Storm origin story about the African priestess who was born and raised in Harlem [in New York City]. Hmm … seems like somebody I do know!
DaCosta might be seen on Our Kind of People on Fox Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET.
(*25*)Listen to Watch With Us to listen to extra about your favourite exhibits and for the latest TV news!